Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed."


OK, Elenore never said that but it still rings true. It certainly does for me. I have noticed that I am totally incapable of going "slow" on a bike. I am by no means fast but I go faster than I should be going. When I ride I don't "warm up" or "get in the grove" I start pounding up the hill and get up to speed. I don't have a computer on the Raleigh but on my MTBs "speed" is about 13MPH which is not fast for the fast guys on road bikes but for a fat guy on a MTB or a 30 year old clunker with a sticky back wheel, it's a lot of energy-sapping effort. I do it all the time too. I do it riding off road, or going to the bank or even on the bike path with the trailer attached! I think this is why it's so hard for me to get over that 6 mile "hump": by the time I get to Decision Street I'm whipped out from the initial 2.5 mile sprint and bail into that nice mile long descent that is just around the corner. It doesn't help that I know that the next climb on the "long route" is, to me, tourturously long and that I have only once ever been able to ride the whole ascent. I think I might try a route that I found on MapMyRide.com that is just under ten miles long and has the worst climb of the route near the beginning of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment