Monday, January 9, 2012

A little pissed.

I follow several bike blogs. Some are pretty amusing, some are very self-important and some are.....sad and pointless. Yet, all represent a different attitude and opinion about a pastime that I love, and wish I had more time for. Some times it's nice to live vicariously through others' rides. Some times they inspire me to get out there on my own no mater how cold it is or how tired I might be. The thing that burns me though, is that they ALL have subscribers! Some of them are making MONEY at writing bike blogs! Sa-weet! Now, I am by no means a shameless self-promoter. I imagine that you have to look really hard to find this blog, unless you are googling pictures of Raleigh Marathons. That's the number one source of traffic here. Perhaps I should write more about this bike and take more pictures and, in general, "pimp" it. Sadly, it has spent most of it's life in disrepair and disarray. I have so little time available to go ride by myself that the fully functional bikes that are NOT almost thirty years old and do NOT need any TLC get called into action and the Marathon sits on the sidelines.

As sad as it is, it is in much better shape than the Peugeot UO-8 project that is sitting in my basement! That bike started out as a perfectly rideable one-owner whip with a slight dent in the back wheel that made it brake funny. So, I decided that I was going to swap out the wheel and bars for aluminum. I had genuine Peugeot parts from a later decade, so I didn't feel too badly about the up-grades. The trouble was that the new wheel was a 6 speed and the old one was a 5. I never got the derailure to line up right an the project died. Pity. I would like again some day ahve a nice old road bike, and by nice I mean 531. I had one, another Peugeot, but it was too small for me (by a lot) so I sold it to a girl in Cambridge who, I realize now, only wanted it for a winter beater! Sigh.

So, any way, back to my original point: if you read any of my posts and enjoy the way that I write or the things that I write about please subscribe to it! Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment