Tuesday, July 10, 2012

First ride of the season? Really?

No? I mean, we have a vacation planned FOCUSED on riding bicycles. Ilove bicycles. I own a shit-ton of them! Sadly, it is true. Yesterday was the first time all year that I had the chance to actually RIDE one of them. In a way, it was good.

I have a new bike. I got it at the end of last year and never really rode it so much. It's a Specialized Tricross (just the base model). Being, as it is, a Cyclocross bike it is theoretically capable of not only riding on the road but on light trails as well. Of course it feels like a road bike, more so than it does a MTB. Having ridden neither in many months my body had no "muscle memory" of what a bike on the road "should" feel like or what a bike on trails "should" feel like so when I went off exploring yesterday, I was able to go on both with he same bike and not get wiggles out about having a "road bike" on the easy trails that I found and explored.

It wasn't a long ride by any stretch of the imagination, but it got my heart rate up and I burned more calories that I would have sitting at home blogging about riding, so I guess it was a "win". I went around Salisbury: the Marsh Trails and some random dirt roads and trails that I found that led down to the river. The one really interesting (and smelly) thing that I did find was a huge pile of clam shells, like a commercial clam-shel dump. Out in the middle of no-where. It was kind of creepy actually.

Hopefully yesterday was the first ride of a re-kindled love affair. Bikes are fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment