Sunday, July 25, 2010

An Open Letter to Children and Hobos.


Dear Hobos and Children,

I admire you. Here I sit, in a position in life that I actually get to choose how I spend my money and how I spend my free time. I have been back "into" cycling after loosing a few months due to illness, apathy and other hobbies. I have long toyed with the idea of buying a "New Bike", either road or mountain as I enjoy both. However I realize that what I need more than a new bike is more TIME to ride the ones that I already have. With the concerns of work, family and other interests, I have precious little time to peddle my fat arse about. And make no mistake about it, my but is big!

Pushing all this meat around is hard work. It's work that I am not equipped to do for more than about 6 miles at a time and that's a shame. I LIKE riding my bike. I like the fresh air and exercise and the ability to see my town and countryside in a way that is not possible in a car or even on a motorcycle. Sadly, I can't DO it at will! Once a day, five days a week for as long as it takes me to go 6 miles is it. Sure, someday I'll do 12 miles and then maybe even more but I'll never have the all day energy, or the opportunity to develop that.

And I remember! I remember! I remember when the ride was the ends to a means, the way to get TO an event. It was never the event itself. I never had thoughts like "maybe that's all the riding I'm up for today" or "am I hydrated enough"? I just jumped on and went.

So today I look with envy upon those who just jump on and go because that's how they get where they are going. Weather it is because of age, financial status or (especially) by choice. To all of them, and all of you: hat's off and hazzah! I hope you realize how good you have it. Some of us can only dream about having the time to ride whenever we want and to have energy to ride wherever they want to. I am jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment