Monday, August 9, 2010

Things are much worse than I thought that they would be.

I got out and about tonight and went down town to see how bad things are from the seat of a bike instead of a car. Bad. The downtown commuter rail station has two bike racks. Both of them had bikes one bike each chained up.

There used to be another one there but the owner must have forgotten his key. I guess that no one wants to park their cars there wither because there were only thirty or so parking spots. This lot lived up to every thing that I expected. So I set off across a very busy street and over a very busy and narrow bridge to the other commuter rail station, less than a mile away. There things were both better and worse.







That's how many car parking spots there are. There are two bike racks, each can hold a half dozen bikes and at least one spot was claimed! It must be safer to leave them over here. As I suspected. So, after this sort-of-win, I took off to the downtown area. The main street was just as congested and dangerous as I suspected. What I did not expect was that, since the flow of traffic is so slow there to begin with, the drivers didn't seem too put out to be stuck behind my bike which, in fact, cut through the congestion faster than they did any way. Bear in mind that this experiment had a sample size of one, but statistically 100% of the motorists I encountered were content to follow along at a respectful distance as I peddled on through. Which is all I could do since there was no where to park the damn bike! Out of three municipal lots down town only one had any thing that even LOOKED like a bike rack, and honestly it didn't look like one. I found this contraption in on the farthest side of the parking lot farthest from the actual down town. No bikes but I didn't feel too bad since the garage is so far away from every thing that no one even bothers to park their car there either. Luckily for me I work almost thirty miles away in a place where the commuter rail does not go but Rt. 495 does! Bike commute in downtown Haverhill? Forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment