Monday, January 4, 2010

There can be only one....

... shitbox MTB project in the house. After I snapped the front derailure on my Trek 4300 project and spent a half hour washing road grime off of my (precious and beloved) Diamondback (in the shower...shhh) I decided to scrap the Trek project and build up the Cannondale M500 as a winter beater. I want to strip the 4300 and use parts to equip the 'Dale and up-grade the Sorrento. Nothing fits. It's clear by the dainty sizes of the posts and tubes, as well as high quality of the ones that are left on it,that the M500 was more of a high-performance bike than the others and it seems a shame to make it the beater bike but it would be more of a shame if my much-loved Sorrento started to rust out! I'm not sure how this is going to work out in the long run. I can't get a fender to fit on the front wheel despite the rigid fork. So, that could prety much be a deal breaker. I bought a seat-post and clamp and re-tasked some wheels with a nice Mega-Range 8-speed. I was going to make this a 1x8 because I thought the front D was mashed but it's not. It's fine. Of course, the BACK D that I thought was fine IS smashed. I'm hoping that I can fit the one from the Trek on the Cannondale. I need cranks and a shorter reach stem and to swap over some controls and find some way to make breaks work on the 'Dale but it should be operational in a week or so. Good Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment