Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Getting a UO-8 and I think I like it.....

As you may or may not know, I am currently in possession of a late 70's Peugeot PRN that is two sizes too small. I was surprised to find that it was mostly original and for that reason and because it was a gift, it has a special place in my heart. Plus: it's French. In researching it I realized that French is to bike as KLR is to motorcycle or Apple is to computers and I AM a dedicated Mac guy! So I like them because they are quirky. I also respect the history of the things that I have collected and hold my father's old camera in very high regard as I do my father in law's Raleigh Marathon that he passed along to me recently. I use them, but carefully. I have been searching for a larger PRN or PX to come up for reasonable money locally, but it has not been the case. Even the UO level Peugeots that have come up have been "big bucks". Then, one day I found a bike on Craigslist for cheep enough money and sent an inquiry for a picture. I got a very long and detailed reply from a nice gentleman who bought the bike new and had ridden it ever since, making some practical modifications along the way. We made a "deal" in the sense that I didn't haggle at all and he agreed to hold it for me for a couple of weeks until I can get some other things straightened away.

I know tha this is a low-level bike-boom bike. I know that it's going to need some work to make it road-worthy. I know that the guy is asking a little more than it's worth. I know it won't be as nice as either the PRN or the Raleigh. What it will be is a 10-speed bike that fits me and that I can feel completely free and comfortable riding in all circumstances because that is what the man who owned it since new want's for it and has always done with it! And it's French. I'm as giddy as a school girl. Seriously. I can't wait until next week to get it!

Thank you for listening. I just wanted to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment