Thursday, February 25, 2010

Trek 820

I recently added a bike to my collection. The intent was to get ahold of a "winter beater" that I could ride around and trash with relative abandon. I had tried several times of course. I got the three speed because of the IGH and fenders and chain guard but, alas, I feel in love with it and couldn't see "ruining" by riding it around in foul weather on salty roads. So then I got my first Trek 820. It was a 1999 model and aluminum. It was too small for me didn't work right anyway. It caused a pretty good wipe-out that has me very apprehensive about "hammering" on a used bike since, up to the point of the crash on my first "real" ride, the bike had performed flawlessly on multiple test rides. Then came the latest, a 2006, steel framed Trek 820 in the 19.5 inch size.

Brand new these bikes are Trek's CHEAPEST adult bicycles at $329.99. I paid considerably less for mine.I have to rave about it. It fits me perfectly. It is smooth riding and quick shifting. It did NOT have a component failure that caused me to crash. It has trigger shifters, which I prefer to grip shifters. The seat is reasonably comfortable. The bike rides very smoothly and comfortably and even felt sturdy after taking it off of a few small drops to try it out. Amazingly, especially at this price-point, the fork is supple and not overwhelmed by my 220 pound weight! I have to highly recommend this bike as an around-town fun bike. I have taken it on neither long-distance rides or any off road rides but I think that it's weight would hinder it in either venue. Combine the out-door fun that I am having with this bike and the in-door fitness that I am having with the Cycle-ops trainer and I would have to say that this was a very well spent sixty bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment