Monday, February 1, 2010

Sorrento: ownership OR posession.

Remember Christine? No, not your high school sweat-heat, the killer car dreamed up by a certain novelist from Maine. Well I never saw the movie or read the book but I understand that the car was possessed. My bike must be made from scraps from that car.
This winter I have brought three different “winter beater” bikes into my home and each one has fallen apart. The cranks fell off the Cannondale. The cranks won’t come off the Trek, but pieces of the front derailure did! Now, enter the Trek 820. I tried it out before I bought it. I tried it out after I adjusted it. I tried it out after I put the fenders and stuff on it. Then I went to fide it and, low and behold! It didn’t work! I know, hard to believe. The pedals spun but the back wheel did not. Hey great! I brought the thing in and readjusted some things and took it out for a spin. Great1 It works and the bike feels just like my BMX bike did when I was a kid (the frame is a little small for me technically). I was having fun. I went out around the block and was hammering up the hill when all of a sudden the whole drive-train got slack and…… I crashed. Wow. How fun. Now I’m on the street trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with this bike. I pick it up and it works perfectly. Grrr…. Half a block later and it’s slack-time again. It turns out that the grip-shifter housing is cracked. For real? Yep. I am convinced that that Sorrento of mine is cursing every other bike that I bring into this house. Why she wants to be subjected to the salt crud and grime or a New England winter I can’t tell. Maybe she loves me. Maybe she’s a masochist. Well, what should I do? Should I give into the demands of my psychotic, possessed bicycle that is able to effect the mechanical well being of the other bikes in the house or should I forge ahead, secure in my knowledge that I am sentient and my choices are right?

No comments:

Post a Comment